When it comes time to install or replace your garage door, one of the biggest questions is: steel or wood? With so many styles available nowadays in a wide range of colors and finishes, it can be hard to determine which is the best for your home.
To help you choose, we’ve put together a list of the pros and cons of each material:
Steel Garage Doors
Low maintenance: In general, steel garage doors don’t require much maintenance. Their corrosion-resistant coatings keep them from rusting and acquiring small dings or blemishes.
- Insulation: Steel offers good temperature and sound insulation. Adding additional insulation is easy and many Clopay steel garage doors come with insulation pre-installed.
- Resistance: One of the greatest advantages of steel is the resistance to warping, splitting and other effects from harsh weather. Steel doors are the best option in extremely humid climates.
- Damage: While thicker gauge steel doors are durable and resistant, thinner gauges steel doors can get dented. Small dents can be removed, but larger ones may be difficult to repair.
- Rust: Over time coatings can eventually wear off or get scratched, at which point lower-quality steel doors can start to rust. Maintaining coatings can help older steel garage doors from rusting.
Wood Garage Doors
- Appearance: Many customers prefer the natural style and beauty of a natural wood garage door over steel. This is especially true for older homes with a traditional style.
- Aging: Wood garage doors tend to ‘age’ well. Due to the natural grain and varying patterns, small scratches and scuffs don’t tend to show up as much as with steel doors.
- Maintenance: There’s no denying that wood garage doors can require more maintenance. This is why it’s important to choose a wood that is adapted to the humidity and temperature climate of your area.
- Insulation: While the natural insulation properties can vary, in general, wood will offer slightly lower insulation versus similar-priced steel doors. Added insulation to the door can help with this.
Choosing the Right Door for Your Home
As you can see, choosing a garage door can depend on a variety of factors and can vary based on geographic location and preference. If you are really undecided, there is also an option to cover a steel or aluminum door with an Ultra Grain wood finish which helps give you the best of both worlds.
No matter what you choose, be sure to select a high-quality garage door brand, such as Clopay. These doors are designed to look great and work well for years, with much lower maintenance than less comparable brands.
At A-All Style Garage Door, we carry a large section of steel and wood doors from Clopay. In all cases, you’re getting top-quality materials, construction and finishes that maximize durability and minimize maintenance.