It’s the ultimate garage door question: Repair or replace? Obviously, in most cases, it will be cheaper and less time consuming to repair your garage door rather than replace it. But there are some situations when replacing the garage door is just the best option. How do you know which way to go? Here are a few guidelines to consider.
When to Repair Your Garage Door
The following circumstances will likely be remedied with a garage door repair:
- Cosmetic Damage Is Minimal: If the problem is minor damage to the door that could be fixed by simply replacing a panel or painting over the damage, repair is probably the better option. Note that in some cases, what may appear to be cosmetic only can sometimes also involve hidden structural damage to the tracks. If you are unsure, contact a professional.
- The Door Is Not Working Well: If your door is going up or down slower than normal, if it shudders or hesitates when opening or closing, or if it’s making a lot of noise but is still opening and closing fully in a reasonable amount of time, a minor repair will often do the trick.
- The Door Is New: If you’ve purchased your garage door in the last five years, you should still be able to get more use out of it. This is especially true if you’ve purchased a high-quality door like a Clopay® door. In addition, most high-quality door companies offer a warranty that will cover you in some circumstances.
When to Replace Your Garage Door
There are situations that will require more than just a repair. Here are a few of them:
- Cosmetic Damage Is Massive: If your door has major rot or rusting due to age and the elements or if the damage is across the entire door and not just a panel or two, it’s probably time to go for a replacement.
- The Door Is Not Working at All: If your door will not open or close at all or is stuck halfway, it’s possible that a repair will be the answer. It may, however, be symptomatic of a bigger problem that could necessitate a repair almost as expensive as getting a new door — in which case it’s probably a better value to buy a the new one.
- The Door Is Older: If your garage door is 10 years old or older, things are going to start to wear out on a regular basis. If the door is damaged or not working properly, this could be a good opportunity to start fresh.
Check Out Our Other Buyer’s Guides From A-All Style Garage Door
- Maximizing Your Return on Investment With A Garage Door
- How to Avoid Garage Door Repair Scams
- Benefits of an Insulated Garage Door
- The Dangers of Cheap Garage Door Service and Products
- Five Incredible Ways to Add Value to Your Home
- Garage Door Installation Cost
A-All Style Garage Door in the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago
If you have a home in Naperville, Plainview or another spot in the southwest suburban Chicago area and are not sure whether it’s time to replace or repair your door, contact us at A-All Style Garage Door Company. We’ll help you figure out what to do based on your budget and the condition of your door.
Whatever you decide, we can give you a free and fair estimate on either repair or replacement to help you make your decision.